Note: Buckets Not Included — #10 cans to wastebaskets can be used as long as container is suitable for potable water.
1) Drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the top bucket and a 1/2" hole in the middle of the lid of the bottom bucket.
2) Drill a 3/4" hole for the spigot 1" above the bottom rim of the second bucket.
3) Remove spigot from packaging.
4) Insert spigot into spigot hole from the outside, using washer.
5) In the interior of the unit screw on wing nut. Hand tighten.
6) Turn spigot by hand, clockwise, one full rotation (hand tighten only).
7) Fill unit with water and check for leaks. If leaking occurs, repeat steps 5 and 6.
8) Remove filter from packaging and wash filter with cold water and cloth or 3m scotchbrite pad.
9) Put washer on stem of filter.
10) Insert filter stem through filter hole with filter upright in the plastic reservoir.
11) Tighten wing nut on filter stem. If leaking occurs repeat step 11.
To retain a constant capacity always add the same amount of water to the filter sleeve that you will be dispensing from the reservoir.
Remove the filter and clean the filter sleeve and water reservoir (buckets) every two weeks with hot water. Clean the filter with a soft tooth brush or 3m pad and cold water. (never use hot water and soap on filter). Re-install filter and proceed as normal.
It usually takes several days for the flow rate to increase to 1 gallon per hour. The flow rate will increase as the interior and mixed media becomes completely saturated. If flow rate is slow, clean filter and keep filter sleeve full.
Once you start using the filter, the activated carbon is good for 1 year. The anti-bacterial ceramic wall will work indefinitely. The shelf life of the unit itself is indefinite. The sock has an indefinite shelf life. Replacement during use will depend on filthiness of the water source.